Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Little Things

One of the blessings of having my youngest daughter, Patricia, in my family is her outlook on life.  When something stirs her, she is beyond passionate about it.  For as long as I can remember she has wanted to be a missionary in Africa.  This summer she got the opportunity to do that, Zambia to be exact.  It has reaffirmed to her that Africa is indeed her calling.  She left being passionate about the people of Africa and returned with even a greater passion for them.  One of the things that touched her deeply were the homeless orphans who have AIDS and malaria.  Without medical attention they will most likely die in the next year.  And orphans do not usually receive medical treatment.  Patricia returned with a heavy heart for those she knows will die soon and may never know Jesus.  



Although Patricia is almost 19 her outlook on life reminds me of a child's.  New and old things excite her.  She can find joy in the smallest things in life.  

Give her a pack of this and she will do 
the happy dance!


A bag of these and her eyes sparkle


Photo: Had a great afternoon!!
Bright colors on her toes and yep her toes wiggle and she giggles

And she can share joy in the things that I completely overlook.  We were at the airport picking up John.  As I approached the ticket booth to pay for the airport parking, I was buy getting my money and ready to get out of there and fight the traffic home.  Patricia took the time to ask the lady how her day was going.  The lady lit up and shared the struggles she had faced since arriving that day (including being closed in a booth with a bee).  As I pulled away from there God gently reminded me that I need to be more like my daughter.  I need to stop being so caught up in what I am doing that I am blind to what or who is around me.  I think God has been speaking that to me all summer.  When I was visiting my parents this summer (while Patricia was in Africa) my dad opened a new bottle of sugar free pancake syrup.  The opening for the syrup was shaped like a face.  I immediately thought of Patricia.  The oddest things make her smile and she has to take a picture of it too. (yes, I did take a picture for her)  



Whether it is a ticket booth lady or the shape of a syrup bottle God is showing me that it is the little things in life that make you me happy.  So, I have started to notice more the "little" things that make me happy (and the who and what around me).

A public restroom with toilet seat covers


Teaching a toddler to blow a dandelion


The excitement on a toddlers face when he meets 
Bob and Larry for the first time


Well, this actually is a BIG thing that is a little thing we can take for granted
Rocky Mountain National Park


A pair of glasses that are NOT broken

The new glasses are just in time for me to see more clearly.  May I see more like my daughter who constantly looks for the joy around her.  What about you?  What are some of the little things that make you happy?  Do you need to readjust your vision so that you see what and who God has placed around you to be a blessing to them?

No comments: