Saturday, October 25, 2008

Need for Touch

An assignment for one of my classes is to collect information on the topic of touch (hugs, kisses, pat on the back, high five, etc). Would you respond to the following questions?

1. At what age did you begin to pull away from frequency of touch with other people?

2. At what age have you observed this in your kids or other youth?

3. Why do you believe touch is important to youth and adults?

4. How often would you say you have some form of touch with your children? (if you dont have children, how often with other children/youth)

5. What types of touch do you use with your different children? Are they hesitant?

6. What do you believe is the explanation for the shift in touching as a child compared to a youth?


3 comments:

Peas on Earth said...

OK. That was rude. I might get to your questions later. I don't even remember what they are right now.

When i started watching the video I was thinking, "yeah, that's right. walk on by. i would. the guy's a loon." Then when the first person stopped and got his hug, and the video went from black and white to color, I lost it. I cried all the way to the end.

Why do we (I) do that? Try to be strong, independent. Don't need anyone. But deep down, desperately craving the reassurance and comfort of human touch, yet all the while too proud to show it ...

Peas on Earth said...

Oh, and did you check out his website, and his story? I cried all over again.

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/

Penny said...

No I did not check out his website. It was 3:30 in the morning. I was convicted of how little touch I give.