Thursday, October 2, 2008

Does God cause it or allow it?

This was the hot topic this week in my home. Circumstances this week presented a situation where one of my kids asked God in their prayer, "Why did You do this?" I informed this teen that God did not cause this situation. There was confusion on their face and in their voice. "Job was tested. This is a test from God."

I asked a friend how do you explain to a teenager the difference between God causing and God allowing. The response was how do you explain to an adult. We went back and forth through situations asking did God cause or allow it. We used our understanding of Scripture to answer. It was discussed that when sin is involved God did not cause it.

The situation my teenager referred to in their prayer was a result of another person's sin. Unfortunately, my kids suffer those consequences that at times appear to effect them more than the other person. My flesh wanted to reveal that sin, but the Spirit within would not allow. Any revealing of information must be His timing not mine.

I did not know why the situation this week happened to my family, but when I heard my child pray it was then I realized that maybe, if for no other reason, this was for that child to personally know truth and see God's glory. Most of the time we don't know why certain things happen, but He does and like I have numerous times over the past couple of years I choose to believe God will redeem it for His glory and honor! This situation may have been for my children to see that God is their Father who loves them and cares for them more than anyone. What did this child ask me to pray about for them tonight? For truth to be revealed!

So, if you had to explain to a teen or an adult God allowing and God causing, how would you explain it?

No comments: