Does doing something spiritual make you a more spiritual person? For one of my kids, getting up to be at the 6:00 am prayer time on Sunday morning provides a "spiritual high." Hey if this kid wants to get up that early to go pray, let them go. Well, not exactly. The morning prayer time may provide a spiritual high but it is short lived. By the time this kid gets home, the lack of sleep overwhelmingly overcomes. This once "sweet so glad I had that time with God" kid crashes for the entire afternoon until time to return to church. What conversation this kid has with the rest of the household is one of aggitation, irritation, unkind words, and the biggest case of the grumpies I have ever seen. That "spirtual high" didn't make it past the morning worship service.
So, to preserve peace in the home, I informed this kid they could not go to 6:00 am prayer time tomorrow. I asked this kid if they were going to pout. The response I got, "Yes, I don't appreciate your decision." Well I did not appreciate this kid's attitude but I held to my decision. Going to Sunday morning prayer time is a good choice, but in this case it is not the best choice for this kid (or the rest of the family), at least at this phase in their life. Somehow I think God would rather this kid work on the way they treat the family instead of experiencing the short lived "spiritual high."
4 comments:
I would agree. You tell Nibby I back you 100%. :-)
I appreciate the backing. Just had another conversation with "Nibby" about something else and I am the one making a big deal out of nothing.
I agree. If they really want to go, maybe an earlier bedtime on Saturday? If it's going to ruin your Sunday, it's best not to go.
Thank you Paige for your "words of wisdom". I did make this kid stay home and Sunday was a much better day too!
Post a Comment