Monday, March 24, 2008

Small Yet Significant

I was asked this weekend if I still did Easter Baskets. Of course I do. It is as much fun for me as the kids, not that they would admit it. They play it cool and tell me I don’t have to do Easter baskets this year. They mumble something about not being able to afford it and getting older. This is one of those times I respond like a teenager, I ignore what they say!

After hearing someone tell me they hid eggs for their kids to find, I decided to do the same for my three teenagers. When they were younger, we would hide eggs and hunt them for hours. As they got older they lost interest. In the past when we hunted eggs, it was after they rummaged through their baskets eating their favorite candy first. We would then use the empty eggs for hiding. This year, I filled the eggs and hid them in the living areas. One rule, they could only find certain colors. This made them have to work harder to find their colors. If they were asked if they had fun, I am certain they would make some comment about how weird their mother is and it was the only way to make sure the candy did not sit around until next year. I on the other hand know the truth.

This was a very small yet significant thing that brought joy and laughter into our home for a short time. Our family traditions have had to make modifications and we have had to rewrite them learning to adjust to our new “normal.” Hopefully this helped in some small way. I know it was an improvement over last year. John cooked lunch for us. He did a wonderful job; no fires as long as we keep him away from the microwave! (Actually, he is cooking this entire week and has the menu planned. That will be another post. One meal we are not sure about, soup. He said he would make up something. I may be visiting elsewhere that night!)

2 comments:

Peas on Earth said...

Yes, very significant. I am glad they enjoyed it, though you're right, they probably would deny it. Ha ha! Laughter is good. :-)

Penny said...

Yes, I am learning laughter is good!