I was reminded this week not all things are as they appear. I set out during my spring break to take a music class. Well, actually, it is a fine arts class, but I was sure it was music emphasis. WRONG! Art Humanities. The title alone about puts me to sleep. I decided it can't be as bad as I am imagining. WRONG! Day 1 the professor begins with paintings. The content of a painting. It's origin. The form (what is that again), color, and texture. This is where I insert the Charlie Brown teacher wha wha wha wha. Who really cares about those things with a painting? Either you like it or you don't.
Obviously, this class cares. So much that I not only had to study this topic and be tested on it the next day, but I would have a test each day during the mini term and give a presentation on a piece of art. Due at a later date, the first part of April, is a 3-4 page paper on a painting I will see at a museum. Yes, I did say museum! For those of you thinking I can look one up on the Internet, apparently that has been tried before because this professor requires a brochure from the museum visited attached to the paper. 3-4 pages on my opinion of a painting. Now, Sharon could probably write a thesis on her opinion of a painting because she has a God gifted writing ability. I will do good to write three sentences. In addition, another 3-4 page paper, again my opinion only, on a theatrical production or a film. Ticket stub attached to the paper. It must be seen in theaters. No DVDs. What movie is out that I can cover the categories needed for the paper or that I want to see?
The week only gets better (for those of you who can't hear the tone in my fingers, this is sarcasm) with sculptures, architecture, dance, theater, film, and music. Watching old educational videos of cultural dance. Boring! Guys dressed like girls. Yep, I fell asleep. Analyzing pictures of sculptures that look like junk yard material. The proper terms for a ballet. More boring! Now the very small music section was fabulous largely due to the professor's ability to play the piano phenomenally. Beautiful pianist. Film section was great too. It gave me a chance to talk about Jimmy Stewart, my very most favorite actor. We watched about half of an old British film A Room With A View. However, according to the professor, due to "copyright rules" we can't watch the film in it's entirety so I don't know the ending and this is not a highly requested dvd at Blockbuster. Hopefully, the public library will have a copy. I need to know what happens with the type character and the protagonist. (Oh, no I learned something!)
I completed my presentation and was able to give my opinion on a painting for ten minutes covering all of the information the professor required. Two very interesting comments about this presentation. First, from a former student I had at CLPS who was in the class with me, "Mrs. James you did a wonderful job on your presentation." Good I did not bomb in front of a former student or the other young kids. (I think I was the oldest in the class.) The second one came from the professor. He made a comment about how surprised he was that I did such an outstanding job on my presentation and it took him until the end of the week to see how good of a student I am. I am not sure what this meant but I smiled and left the class.
I was ready to quit on Monday but the practical side of me said no way because it was not being a wise steward of God's resources. So, I toughed it out each day eagerly awaiting for the week to end. The torture to be over!
Now, the class is over (except for the two papers). Do I feel the same way as I did the first of the week? I do know I had to "eat" a lot of my words this week. I am always telling the kids they have to press on and do the unenjoyable (is that a word?)school work. Take advantage of every learning opportunity even if you can't see how God will use it. Whatever you do do it as unto the Lord. It would be better if your attitude was better. God will use it for His glory. Sometimes I would just do better if I kept my mouth shut with the kids. I admit I was close to hating this class. Something about it rubbed me wrong and it required a ridiculous amount of work for a freshman level class. This was to be an easy A but instead I found myself thinking D is for diploma! The words I would say to my kids would haunt me, especially the part about the attitude. It took me until Wednesday for the attitude adjustment. Surely, God did not expect me to actually like this class? Just like I have told my kids, it is easier if the attitude is right. I allowed God to make an adjustment on the attitude and the class did begin to be somewhat enjoyable. I found myself watching a TV show with the kids tonight talking about the architecture of the building and the intent of the director. And the presentation I had to make on a painting, well I fell in love with it....if it was not a Monet worth more than I would ever make in my lifetime it would be on my wall.
Perhaps it is the new perspective I have on the "Arts" and the new appreciation to stop and take in the beauty. Perhaps it is as I am stopping to take in the beauty I am still so I can hear the Father speaking. Perhaps it is because of the life lesson I continue to learn that I have preached to my kids about whatever we do do it as unto the Lord. Or, perhaps it was the lady I met who is going through a divorce and has two kids she is trying to raise. I recognized that look in her eyes. Feeling overwhelmed and stretched to the maximum capacity. NO, it is not one of these things that made a change, it is ALL of these things, including the professor.
Sometimes the hardest lessons we learn in the life are the ones we teach our kids. Nothing in my circumstances changed, but my attitude did. Next time I may need to think twice before I let those words of wisdom roll off my tongue; they might come back to haunt me!
3 comments:
Well, now ... God may have given me the ability to write, but whether or not I can appreciate a painting is left to be determined. (And I am realizing as I type this that while I can "write," my typing ability leaves a lot to be desired!!) Thank you, though, for the compliment.
By the way, this is your best post yet. The last couple of paragraphs sound like something I would have written. :-) I think you can handle this paper thing, after all. :-D
I have to make it to the museum first. And "you know who" is basically not talking to me. So, looks like I will be needing someone to go with me. Clear your calendar for a museum adventure.
OK ... this week is better than next. Where you wanna go?
Post a Comment