I was asked yesterday if God hates Satan. I responded that He hates evil and Satan is evil. Then last night my son brought me his Bible with a question regarding a word. He was trying to figure out if it was maybe a Hebrew word or a quite funny typo. It was a typo. I decided to look in my copy of the same translation to see if it was a translation error or that particular publisher error. After reading the verse and discovering it was a publisher error, I decided to read the book of Habakkuk for context. Chapter 1:13 says, "But you are pure and cannot stand the sight of evil." Of course I had to share this with the kid who asked if God hated Satan.
As I pulled into the parking lot this morning, a church member who is a police officer was in a police car outside near the building. I figured he was there as a security precaution since it is the 10th anniversary of the Wedgwood Baptist shooting. It is hard to believe it has been ten years. Much has happened in ten years. Lives have not only been lost but changed forever. The anniversary of the shooting stirs emotion which leads to even more emotion.
I find myself today weighted down with grief. Pain is all around. Just look around. I can see it in the eyes of those who had friends and family killed the night of the shooting. I can see it in the wife whose husband has made it clear he wants to do nothing to save their marriage. I can see it in the mom whose son has announced to her "God does not exist." Or the lady who is in so much physical pain that even looking at you causes great pain. Or the parents who thought they would get to bring their newborn baby home from the hospital but never did. The wife who loved her husband dearly and in an instant he died from a heart attack. Or the wife who had a husband so depressed than he killed himself because he could not cope. Or a child that would endure unfair and/or physical harm in hopes their parent will love them. Or the person who pushes everyone who meant anything to them out because being anywhere near them makes the pain from the past so unbearable.
Everywhere we look there is pain. Deep emotional pain. People are hurting. Pain is inevitable in this life. Since pain is inevitable do we just ignore the pain or even tell people they should be over this. I mean who are we to tell a grieving wife it has been long enough and it is time for her to get over it. Or tell an abused teenager that is in the past it is time for you to be over this. The question is how are we going to respond to it. And how are we going to be used of God to help others get through their pain? When we are quick to think this has been long enough and that person should be over this, may we ask God to give us compassion for that person. May we pray for healing for that person. May we realize healing takes time and the length of time varies from person to person and circumstance to circumstance.
These are real lives I used as examples. People I know who are in great pain and currently it is taking every ounce of energy they have to get up and get through the day. May we be sensitive to those who are hurting around us!
No comments:
Post a Comment